Dr Alex Barnacle is a Consultant Paediatric Interventional Radiologist at the forefront of her field. Her areas of expertise include the diagnosis and treatment of vascular malformations (venous, lymphatic and arterial). Dr Barnacle has written numerous scientific publications and invited papers for a range of peer reviewed journals on the subject of paediatric interventional radiology.
"I specialise in paediatric interventional radiology, which involves using image-guided keyhole surgery and other minimally-invasive procedures to diagnose and treat a wide variety of conditions in children. Interventional radiology is very new in the paediatric medical world and I’m passionate about being at the forefront of this evolving specialty. I have a special interest in working with children who have complex birthmarks or vascular malformations, where these techniques can make a real difference."
- The imaging and diagnosis of vascular malformations
- The minimally invasive treatment of vascular malformations; such as venous, lymphatic and arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
- Minimally invasive keyhole procedures for treating kidney stones in children
- Undergraduate training at the University of Southampton (BM)
- Training in radiology at Charing Cross and Hammersmith Hospitals in London
- Fellowship in paediatric radiology at GOSH and the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia
- Executive Board member of the Society of Paediatric Interventional Radiology (SPIR)
- International Society for the Study of Vascular Anomalies (ISSVA)
- British Society of Interventional Radiology (BSIR)
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology Society of Europe (CIRSE)
- British Society of Paediatric Radiology (BSPR)
- Diagnosis and management of vascular anomalies, with particular current research interest into the management of orbital lymphatic malformations (lymphangiomas)
- Cryoablation in children
- Thrombolysis and thrombectomy techniques in children
- Development of new interventional techniques for use in children
- Medical risk management
News & Publications
Upasani, A., Barnacle, A., Roebuck, D., Cherian, A. 2017. Combination of surgical drainage and renal artery embolization: an alternative treatment for xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 40(3) pp 470-473.
Barnacle, A., Theodorou, M., Maling, S., Abou-Rayyah, Y. 2016. Sclerotherapy treatment of orbital lymphatic malformations: a large single centre experience. Ophthalmol. 100(2) pp 204-208.
Stuart, S., Barnacle, A., Smith, G., Pitt, M., Roebuck, D. 2015. Neuropathy after sodium tetradecyl sulfate sclerotherapy of venous malformations in children. Radiology. 274(3) pp 897-905.
Recent textbook contributions in the following:
Farhadieh, R., Bulstrode, N., Cugno, S. (eds) 2015, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Approaches and Techniques, Wiley-Blackwell.
Beek, E., van Rijn, R. (eds) 2015, Diagnostic Pediatric Ultrasound, Thieme.
Refer your child to Dr Alex Barnacle
Use the form below to refer your child for treatment. A member of our team will be in touch within 2 working days.