What to bring
We understand that coming to the hospital for the first time can be a daunting prospect. To help you prepare, we have put together this list of items you should bring with you.
Please note that, whilst there is storage in each patient’s room, it is limited. Large suitcases will not fit. For health and safety reasons please also be aware that latex balloons and flowers are not allowed on the wards.
There are a number of important documents that our staff will need when you arrive. These include:
- Your appointment letter
- Medical reports including supporting documents (e.g. x-rays, scans, test results etc)
- Details of any medications your child is currently taking
- Any forms given to you on previous appointments, or that have been requested
- Any samples requested (e.g. urine sample)
- A letter of guarantee from your sponsor, or your insurance details and policy number (if applicable)
- Any medication that your child or you take, and also the details of the medication
- Any special feeds or baby milk, nappies and baby wipes
All of our patient rooms have an en-suite bathroom, and a towel is provided. However, we ask that you bring toiletries for you and your child. These include:
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and shower gel (not needed on Hedgehog Ward)
- Changes of clothes
- A dummy or bottle if your child uses one
We provide all our patients with a range of entertainment. In every room, there is a bedside entertainment system and a playroom filled with toys and games is located on every ward.
However, we suggest that you also bring a range of familiar and fun items for your child, especially if you are coming to the hospital for a long stay.
- Favourite toy
- Handheld games console and games
- Favourite DVDs, books, colouring/puzzle books or magazines
- iPad or personal device
- Pen and paper
Being away from home can be difficult, especially if you have to come to hospital for a long time or are travelling from abroad. Bring a few items to reassure and keep you and child comfortable can be a big help. For example:
- Favourite pyjamas
- Slippers or thick socks
- Favourite cuddly toy