Dr Lorenzo Biassoni is a Consultant in Nuclear Medicine working in the Radiology department. He has a wide general nuclear medicine experience matured over 27 years of clinical practice as a nuclear medicine physician. He has developed a special interest in paediatric nuclear medicine since 2002, when he was appointed as a nuclear medicine consultant at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children.
He is passionate about teaching and is frequently invited to give lectures on different aspects of paediatric nuclear medicine at educational events in the UK and overseas. He also teaches paediatric nuclear medicine at the Master of Sciences degree in Nuclear Medicine run by King’s College London. In recent years, he has established and delivered paediatric nuclear medicine courses for post-graduate students in India, China, Italy, and Romania.
Since 2004, he has been an active member of the Paediatric Committee of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (chairman of the Committee 2007-2010), and has been actively involved in the preparation of several European guidelines on paediatric nuclear medicine examinations. He is the paediatric nuclear medicine expert for the British Society of Nuclear Medicine (BNMS). He has been a member of the Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee (ARSAC) (2007-2015), and the UK representative on the Nuclear Medicine Sub Committee of the European Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOPEN).
Dr Biassoni is a member of the editorial board of the European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging and a reviewer for several other radiology journals. He is the associate editor for nuclear medicine of BJR Case Reports.
- Italian (native speaker)
General paediatric nuclear medicine; in particular, nuclear medicine imaging in paediatric nephron urology and in neuroblastoma
Paediatric single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and computed tomography (CT) imaging
- Medical Degree, University of Rome “La Sapienza” (1986)
- Residence in Oncology and General Medicine, National Cancer Institute and University of Genova (1987 – 89)
- Specialist accreditation in Nuclear Medicine, EU recognised, University of Genova (1989 – 93)
- Master of Science degree (Nucl Med), University of London (1993 -95)
- Fellowship of the European Board of Nuclear Medicine, FEBNM (1997)
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) (2008)
- Senior Advisor to the Paediatric Committee of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (2016)
- Faculty member of the European School of Multimodality Imaging and Therapy (ESMIT) (2017)
- MIBG in neuroblastoma: involvement in several projects coordinated by SIOPEN
- High risk neuroblastoma: correlation between MIBG uptake, MRI DWI and histopathology
- Bone scan with SPECT CT in adolescent back pain and foot pain
- DMSA with SPECT CT in complex paediatric renal calculi
- Radionuclide renography in ante-natally diagnosed hydronephrosis
- Indirect radionuclide cystography supplemented by a flow meter as a screening tool for bladder dysfunction
- Assessment of gastro-intestinal motility with radionuclides
News & Publications
Dr Biassoni has authored 40 articles published in peer-reviewed journals and 12 chapters for published paediatric textbooks. Recent publications include:
Biassoni L., Easty M., 2017. Paediatric nuclear medicine imaging. Br Med Bull, 123(1) pp. 127-148.
Mendichovszky I., Troncoso-Solar B., Smeulders N., Easty M., Biassoni L., 2017. Paediatric nuclear medicine: an overview. Semin Nucl Med, 47(3) pp. 204-228.
Pichler J., Biassoni L., Easty M., Irastorza I., Hill S., 2016. Reduced risk of pulmonary embolism in children treated with long term parenteral nutrition. Clin Nutr, 35(6) pp. 1406-1413.
Tucker D., Woods G., Langham S., Biassoni L., Krywawych S., Hindmarsh P., Peters C., The incidence and clinical features of dual thyroid ectopia in congenital hypothyroidism. 2016. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 101(5) pp. 2063-8.
Biassoni L., 2015. Pitfalls and limitations of radionuclide renal imaging in paediatrics. Sem Nucl Med, 45(5) pp. 411-27.
Brogan KS., Eleftheriou D., Biassoni L., Sebire N., Brogan PA., 2015. Multifocal non-infectious osteitis as a presentation of paediatric granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener’s Granulomatosis). Arthritis Rheumatol, 67(10) pp. 2748.
Sinha, CK., Pallewatte, A., Easty, M., De Coppi, P., Pierro, A., Misra, D., Biassoni, L., 2013. Meckel's scan in children: a review of 183 cases referred to two paediatric surgery specialist centres over 18years. Pediatric Surgery International, 29(5) pp. 511-7.
Wessely, K., Biassoni, L., McHugh, K., 2011. Pitfalls in paediatric oncology imaging. Cancer Imaging, 11 pp.144-54.
Navalkissoor, S., Easty, M., Biassoni, L., 2010. Functional lung assessment with radionuclides in paediatric respiratory diseases: a useful, underutilized test in nuclear medicine? Nuclear Medicine Communications,31(10) pp. 896-902.
Abdulsamea, S., Anderson, P., Biassoni, L., Brennan, E., McLaren, CA., Marks, SD., Roebuck, DJ., Selim, S., Tullus, K., 2010. Pre- and postcaptopril renal scintigraphy as a screening test for renovascular hypertension in children. Pediatric Nephrology 25(2) pp. 317-22.
Refer your child to Dr Lorenzo Biassoni
Use the form below to refer your child for treatment. A member of our team will be in touch within 2 working days.